Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Learning ROCKS Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator AmeriCorps Member
FY25 Terms of Service – 1700 Hours
August 2024 – August 2025
Aspire Afterschool Learning is seeking year-round mentors for our Learning ROCKS afterschool and summer camp program to provide daily holistic and academic support to historically underserved upper elementary school students in South Arlington, VA.
Our afterschool program bolsters students’ reading by providing targeted daily support to develop both reading skills and a love of reading. Program activities strengthen their STEM/STEAM skills and reinforce general academic content through regular project-based learning activities, including our annual science fair. Our summer camp is a fun and interactive experience that prevents summer learning loss, which year-over-year can make it more difficult for students experiencing poverty to catch up with their peers.
The Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator will work to strengthen community engagement in our afterschool and summer programs by recruiting and training youth through retirees as reading buddies, academic and homework helpers, and classroom helpers. They will also work closely with the Program Director and Director of Development on special events and programs, such as National Service events, Corporate Volunteer opportunities, and our High School Volunteers program.
This position is part of our Learning Links AmeriCorps program and is great for someone interested in working with volunteers, with youth, considering a career in education, giving back to their community, gaining professional experience, or earning money for school.
Who We Are…
Aspire Afterschool Learning (formerly Greenbrier Learning Center) is a non-profit organization based in South Arlington, VA. Aspire provides robust, comprehensive, and high-quality afterschool and summer academic enrichment to historically underserved students in Arlington. Our programs support and connect students, families, schools, and communities while using evidence-based methods to achieve results for upper elementary school students most impacted by the educational opportunity gap. Over 90% of our students improve their reading levels each year with our support.
Aspire values statement:
• Growth: We Aspire to support our students to empower them to reach their goals.
• Connection: We Aspire to bring our community together to create a sense of belonging for our students and their families.
• Equity & Access: We Aspire to provide access to the students and families most impacted by the educational opportunity gap and treat Aspire students and families with dignity, fairness, and respect.
• Excellence: We Aspire to strive for excellence in all that we do.
• Fun & Caring: We Aspire to approach every day with a nurturing spirit of playfulness and warmth.
For the past 14 years, we have partnered with AmeriCorps to host AmeriCorps Members, individuals who use their compassion, determination, and creativity to help strengthen communities across the country. Our AmeriCorps Members directly serve the students in our program, by putting their values into action to make a difference where the need is greatest. Individuals who serve with AmeriCorps build new skill sets that they can take with them wherever they go. If you are not currently an AmeriCorps Member, we can help you become one and join our team.
What You’ll Do…
The Learning Links Volunteer & Outreach AmeriCorps Member will serve a key coordinating role within Aspire to mobilize volunteers and community resources to support program activities, as follows:
- Recruit volunteers of all ages through various means, including attending volunteer fairs, posting volunteer listings, and cultivating partnerships with local schools and community organizations.
- Train and supervise volunteers for Aspire’s programs and activities, ensuring coordination with program staff;
- Plan and implement volunteer recognition activities throughout the year and for National Volunteer Week.
- Record all volunteer hours, regularly update data information, and develop reports on Volunteer and Outreach activities as required;
- Collaborate with the Parent Connection Program to ensure adequate volunteer coverage during events;
- Provide direct service support to the Learning ROCKS Afterschool & Summer Program as needed and to inform volunteer outreach and coordination efforts;
- Assist with facilitating corporate volunteer events;
- Assist staff in planning the 9/11 Day of Remembrance and MLK, Jr. Days of Service;
- Complete monthly AmeriCorps service reflections.
- Participate in required AmeriCorps and/or National Days of Service projects;
- Comply with all applicable rules, regulations, and agreements of the organization.
Who You Are…
- Passionate about investing in the growth and potential of historically underserved students
- Committed to service and dedicated to serving through AmeriCorps
- Looking to gain marketable, hands-on experience in the nonprofit, education, and/or childcare fields
- Self-motivated, independent, flexible, and resourceful
- Able to communicate and interact with children, parents, teachers, volunteers, and program staff in a way that is consistent with Aspire’s values
- Good at managing your time and projects
- Able to walk a mile and supervise kids outside
- Comfortable and proficient with computers and smart phone apps
- Experience/knowledgeable with Google Suite or Microsoft Office, including basic Excel
- A U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien (Green Card)
- A High school graduate or equivalent, at least 18 years old
What Else You Should Know…
- This is a 1700 Hour AmeriCorps position from August 12, 2024 through August 8, 2025.
- Hours: 40 hours/week; School Year: Monday – Friday: 10am – 6:30pm; Summer camp: 8:30am – 5pm; occasional evenings.
- This position is in-person.
- $2,416/month living stipend with a $6,495 Segal Education Award that can be applied to future education goals or past student loans.
- Time off for winter break, spring break, 10 personal/sick days and federal holidays;
- Eligible for student loan forbearance or deferment.
- Hands-on training in a variety of topics including: learning content areas, tutoring skills, child development, behavior management, education theory, leadership skills, and team building.
- Free access to the community center gym
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (includes boosters for those eligible).
- Aspire values a positive working environment and culture, highly impactful and values-driven work, and professional and personal development.
Aspire Afterschool Learning is an equal opportunity employer, and we value having AmeriCorps Members who reflect the students and families we serve, including from communities most impacted by the educational opportunity gap. Aspire shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and provision of services.
Aspire’s Learning Links AmeriCorps Program is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and is contingent upon funding approval.
How to Apply…
Please send a resume to email@example.com. Cover letters are optional.