Summer Camp Counselor (June – August 2024)
Learning ROCKS AmeriCorps Member
June 2024 – August 2024
Aspire Afterschool Learning is seeking Counselors for our Learning ROCKS Summer Camp to provide daily holistic and academic support to historically underserved upper elementary school students in South Arlington, VA. Our summer camp is a fun and interactive experience that also prevents summer learning loss, which year-over-year can make it more difficult for them to catch up with their peers. The ideal applicant will have a passion and skill for supporting students most impacted by the educational opportunity gap and helping them succeed in their learning.
Join our team and use your talents and skills to guide students as they explore a camp theme unique to this summer. Last year, students explored the theme Around the World. They learned about different cultures and participated in hands-on projects related to literature and mythology, food and celebration, cultural diaspora and current events, geography, and ancient civilizations. In addition to themed activities, you will engage students in reading, academic exercises, enrichment activities, and exploring new places on field trips.
This highly interactive and student-facing position will be responsible for implementing lesson plans and activities, providing daily direct academic and social-emotional instruction and support to students, and interacting professionally with program volunteers, community partners, and parents. You will be committed to ensuring Aspire students make gains in their learning while being part of an integral team commitment to students’ growth and organizational excellence.
This position is part of our Learning Links AmeriCorps program and is great for someone interested in working with 3rd – 8th grade students, considering a career in education, giving back to their community, gaining professional experience, or earning money for school.
Who We Are…
Aspire Afterschool Learning (formerly Greenbrier Learning Center) is a non-profit organization based in South Arlington, VA. Aspire provides robust, comprehensive, and high-quality afterschool and summer academic enrichment to historically underserved students in Arlington. Our programs support and connect students, families, schools, and communities while using evidence-based methods to achieve results for upper elementary school students most impacted by the educational opportunity gap. Over 90% of our students improve their reading levels each year with our support.
Aspire values statement:
• Growth: We Aspire to support our students to empower them to reach their goals.
• Connection: We Aspire to bring our community together to create a sense of belonging for our students and their families.
• Equity & Access: We Aspire to provide access to the students and families most impacted by the educational opportunity gap and treat Aspire students and families with dignity, fairness, and respect.
• Excellence: We Aspire to strive for excellence in all that we do.
• Fun & Caring: We Aspire to approach every day with a nurturing spirit of playfulness and warmth.
For the past 14 years, we have partnered with AmeriCorps to host AmeriCorps Members, individuals who use their compassion, determination, and creativity to help strengthen communities across the country. Our AmeriCorps Members directly serve the students in our program, by putting their values into action to make a difference where the need is greatest. Individuals who serve with AmeriCorps build new skill sets that they can take with them wherever they go. If you are not currently an AmeriCorps Member, we can help you become one and join our team.
What You’ll Do…
The Summer Camp Learning ROCKS Counselor reports to the Program Manager & Coordinator. Working closely with our small Program Team, you will:
- Co-lead lessons and activities while providing direct support to approximately 20 students each day, including appropriate supervision and assistance during classroom and recreational activities.
- Provide meaningful guidance and support for volunteers.
- Supplement existing lesson plans and implement lessons, activities, guest speakers, and field trips in collaboration with program staff.
- Interact and communicate with parents, volunteers, visitors, and community organizations in accordance with Aspire’s values.
- Participate in required AmeriCorps Trainings.
- Support program staff in collecting and maintaining program data.
- Assist in the daily maintenance of the Aspire classrooms.
- Complete monthly AmeriCorps service reflections.
- Comply with all applicable rules, regulations, and agreements of the organization and AmeriCorps.
Who You Are…
- Passionate about investing in the growth and potential of historically underserved students
- Committed to service and dedicated to serving through AmeriCorps
- Looking to gain marketable, hands-on experience in the nonprofit, education, and/or childcare fields
- Self-motivated, independent, flexible, and resourceful
- Able to communicate and interact with children, parents, teachers, volunteers, and program staff in a way that is consistent with Aspire’s values
- Good at managing your time and projects
- Able to walk a mile and supervise kids outside
- Comfortable and proficient with computers and smart phone apps
- Experience/knowledgeable with Google Suite or Microsoft Office, including basic Excel
- A U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien (Green Card)
- A High school graduate or equivalent, at least 18 years old
Great If You Are…
- Bilingual (Spanish/Arabic/Amharic/other and English) skills, including reading, writing, and conversation
- Comfortable/able to swim in the water
- CPR/First Aid certified
- Experienced or interested in working with linguistically and culturally diverse populations
- Have 6 – 12 months+ experience working with children in an educational or structured program setting
- Course work or experience in Education, Social Work, or similar field
- Knowledge of or experience with child development and primary education
- Experienced in positive behavioral modification practices for students and groups of children
What Else You Should Know…
- The position is usually 40 hours/week, with some weeks being closer to 30 hours.
- The position is from June 3 through August 9, 2024.
- This position is in-person.
- Hours are 8:30am – 5:00pm.
- There is a $5,079 living stipend with a $1,342.86 Segal Education Award that can be applied to future education goals or past student loans.
- Eligible for student loan forbearance or deferment.
- You will also receive hands-on training in a variety of topics including: learning content areas, tutoring skills, child development, behavior management, education theory, leadership skills, and team building.
Aspire Afterschool Learning is an equal opportunity employer, and we value having AmeriCorps Members who reflect the students and families we serve, including from communities most impacted by the educational opportunity gap. Aspire shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and provision of services.
Aspire’s Learning Links AmeriCorps Program is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and is contingent upon funding approval.
How to Apply…
Please send a resume by May 17, 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letters are optional.