Summer Learning Links Position
The Summer Position is Eligible for a $2,100 - $3,400 stipend and a $1,200 - $1,500 Segal Education Award
Corps Members assist in implementing the daily Learning ROCKS! Program after school.
- Plan and implement Learning ROCKS! program themes in coordination with other AmeriCorps Members and Learning Rocks! Program Manager by creating daily lesson plans;
- Provide direct support and services to approximately 20 - 40 students each day, including appropriate supervision and assistance during homework completion time and recreational activities;
- Communicate with parents/guardians and visitors in a professional and meaningful manner;
- Achieve program goals in close collaboration with other AmeriCorps Members, Site Coordinators, Program Manager, and Assistant Director;
- Actively contribute to a Community of Practice that identifies and refines best practices in children and youth programming;
- Help in daily maintenance of the Aspire program sites;
- Complete monthly AmeriCorps Great Stories, and service reflections
- Participate in required AmeriCorps and/or National Days of Service projects; and
- Comply with all applicable rules, regulations, and agreements of the organization.
- U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien;
- High school graduate or equivalent, at least 17 years old;
- Commitment to local, community-based organizations;
- Self-motivation, independence, resourcefulness, and flexibility;
- Creativity, dependability, and flexibility;
- Excellent time management and communication skills;
- Professional communication skills – ability to interact well with children, parents, teachers, volunteers, and program staff; and
- A great sense of humor!
Ideal candidates would also have
- Bilingual (Spanish/Arabic/Amharic/other and English) skills, including reading, writing, and conversation preferred;
- Experience in and/or knowledge of child development and primary education fields;
- Experience in positive behavioral modification practices for individuals and groups of children; and
- Experience working with linguistically and culturally diverse populations.
- Term of Service: June through August 2016
- 40 hours per week commitment
- Student-loan forbearance or deferment;
- Corps Members receive time off for spring break as well as five personal days off; and
- Aspire is committed to strengthening Corps Members’ professional and personal development. Corps Members will receive training in a variety of topics including: content areas, tutoring skills, child development, behavior management, education theory, leadership skills, and team building.